We know that longevity of wear is important to you when choosing what type of supplemental hair to purchase. It is extremely important to us as well. We want to help you get the best and longest result from your new hair. Here are some general guidelines that may help:
1. Choosing the right type of hair extensions or wig for you is an important factor in longevity of wear. Please contact us for a complimentary consultation to help you assess what type of supplemental hair is right for you.
2. Daily wear wigs and hair extensions typically have the best longevity provided the hair is cared for and maintained properly. We strongly recommend that you consider this when making a purchase and that you work closely with a local stylist. A stylist can assist you with the proper care, maintenance , and use of your new wig or hair extensions.
Semi-permanent hair extensions or wigs:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, (yes sadly we are old enough to remember records! A favorite Christmas gift from Grandma was the Kenny Rogers album, The Gambler, that we played on our child record player! ;-) ) semi-permanent attachments have significantly less longevity than daily removal attachments. This is not a function of the quality of our hair but rather is the function of the daily wear and tear of a 24/7 attachment which is tremendously hard on the hair. While it is wonderful to have supplemental hair that functions daily as your own naturally growing hair it does impact longevity. Wearing supplemental hair requires trade offs, just like everything else in life. To have your hair attached daily 24/7 will require the trade off of longevity. You can mitigate this damage but cannot eliminate it entirely.
The following are general guidelines only to help you get the longest and best result from your semi-permanently attached wig or hair extensions. Your situation will vary so please consult with a local hair replacement stylist who can tailor the recommendations based on your individual, unique situation.
1. Work with a local stylist in your area who can help you properly care for, maintain, and wear your new wig or hair extensions. Working with a local stylist who is skilled in the care of supplemental hair is an invaluable resource. This cannot be stressed strongly enough. To get the best result from any type of semi-permanent attachment requires not only proper daily care/use/maintenance on your part but also (in our opinion) requires the assistance of a skilled stylist. It has been our experience that working with a stylist has resulted in a better outcome than trying to go it alone.
2. Avoid heat and harsh styling products. Use alcohol and sulfate free products.
3. Wrap your hair at night to avoid friction from your pillow. You can make one or two braids, then use a head wrap or cap to cover the hair. Also sleep on a satin pillow case.
4. Processed hair is more delicate so it requires even more diligent care and this is particularly true when selecting a semi-permanent attachment. Unprocessed hair will generally have better longevity than processed hair.
5. Make sure you wash, brush, comb and style your new wig or hair extensions properly. If you treat your new hair harshly, you will damage it, possibly irrerparably.
6. Avoid swimming and exposure to harsh environmental elements.
Want more information on how to get the best result from your new wig or hair extensions? Contact us today!